Friday, February 7, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Concussions, snow, and corneal abrasions

So yeah, it's been a while since I wrote some quick takes. Why is that, you ask? Well, it's probably because by the time I remember it's usually Saturday. But today is a little different. Because of that scene up there, I've had to leave work early the last two days, and the girls' 18 month well check got rescheduled for next week, and I actually remembered it was Friday during nap time. So here we go!
I'm really enjoying Notes from a Blue Bike. Tsh Oxenreider's first book, Organized Simplicity, was actually the one that led me into the blogging world. She's really passionate about simple living, and her books are guides to get you there too. I'm glad that I ran across her work before we got too far into our married life or parenting, because I've often come back to the simplicity theme as we figure things out. I am really hoping to get up to her book launch party in Portland this spring!

Laying on the couch once I could open my eyes again - I think this was last Wednesday or Thursday
I spent most of last week recovering from a concussion I got Sunday before last. It was one of those freak accidents - I was laying on the couch and Erin was romping behind me and fell forward onto my head. She must have hit me right in the exact spot, because I was out of sorts for over a week. I got to go back to work this week, but it's only been the last few days that I've really felt better. Moral of the story: take head injuries seriously, because I certainly didn't at first, and I've been regretting that for the last two weeks!

So after my head started feeling better, I got poked in the eye by an errant toddler finger (this time it was Emily) and ended up with a corneal abrasion. The eye doctor recommended using a pressure patch to keep my eyelid closed and help my eye heal. This is what the patch looks like - Emily and Erin were totally unimpressed. Actually, they were so terrified that I could only wear the patch at night in bed! As ridiculous as I felt, it certainly worked well. My eye feels much better already.

Pigtails for Erin

Pigtails for Emily
We graduated to big girl hair this week! Emily and Erin both have long enough hair for pigtails. I am all over this adorableness. It doesn't go very well with hats and coats for the snow, though. Unfortunately. Both girls have bangs now though, so there's still some cuteness even when it's cold!


Erin spontaneously got out the broom and dustpan and announced "I play sweep" last night. I'm certainly not going to argue with that! She wanted to sweep up her toys, though, so maybe we need to work on exactly what to sweep....
Most of our meals would provide ample sweeping practice. There's something about toddler food that just always ends up on the floor. Right now the girls always want to have both plates, no matter who's got what on their plate or what color the plates are. It makes for a big mess, mostly. But it's still fun. Especially when it's breakfast for dinner. They liked it so much it's repeating again tonight!

Have a blessed weekend, y'all!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE PIGTAILS! They look so cute! I miss Hattie's little short pigtails, like Emily's. Awww! And lay off the head injuries, will ya? ;)

    ReplyDelete