Sunday, May 26, 2013

What I Wore Sunday: The Cry of the Poor

I went with prim and proper today.

That doesn't mean you can't strike a pose, though!
Cardi: Old Navy
Shell: Banana Republic (hand-me-down from a friend)
Skirt: Banana Republic (hand-me-down from a friend)
Wedges: Target
Earrings: Old Navy 
Necklace: gift

I think today was the longest Mass Erin and Emily have ever attended. It was just shy of an hour and a half. The upside of that was that they were asleep around the Consecration - the downside was that Dan's arms were pretty sore by the end! I'm sure Erin will be taking her first steps any day now, but I'm not sure that will make church any easier. Emily just snuggled in the Ergo, with plenty of big dramatic "I'm SO tired!" flings backwards before she finally fell asleep. I discovered tickling under her chin brought her back to me pretty quickly, so I started doing that every time she flopped her head back.

The visiting priest we had today talked extensively about a program called Food for the Poor which helps feed needy families both here and abroad. I wish I could tell you exactly what they do, but I got stuck on the idea of what it might be like to not have food to feed my children. I can't tell you how many hours in the past year I've obsessed over what I'm feeding them. I plan to go into more detail about why that is in a future post, but suffice it to say that I'm an overthinker when it comes to food. 

At any rate, I am blessed not to have heard the cries of my hungry children and know there's nothing I can do about it. Sure, there's the odd grocery trip where we don't coordinate meals well and they are upset and hungry, but I've never had to choose between feeding one child one day and one child the next day, like the priest talked about today. I've had to choose who will eat first, but I've never had to postpone for more than about twenty minutes. It's an amazing blessing, and I don't think I can ever thank God enough for it. I definitely plan to look into Food for the Poor. I'm sure God was speaking to me and trying to get me to listen, but I was too distracted by the initial message to hear more about the organization.

I love the Church's teaching on the Holy Trinity. I love that we know God to be three persons - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Last Sunday, Pentecost, the priest talked about how praying for he intervention of the Holy Spirit required "the faith of a fool - a fool for Jesus, that is." The way the Holy Spirit can work in us is proof, if any was needed, that God can change our hearts without warning or effort. We know that God, the Father, loved us so much that He sent His son to die for our sins. We know that Jesus, His son, came as man to live amongst us and die for our sins. God's presence in these three ways comes out of His love for us and the mercy He chooses to show us. Every time we make the Sign of the Cross, we remember the presence of the Holy Trinity. Something I think I might try this week, in honor of Holy Trinity Sunday, is to imagine that with any action I question: would I do this in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? If not, why not? Should I be doing this?

I'm linking up with the wonderful ladies over at Fine Linen and Purple for What I Wore Sunday! Hope you're feeling better, Kendra!


No comments:

Post a Comment