Thursday, May 16, 2013

7 Quick Takes, Vol. 40


Thanks for hosting, Jen!
--- 1 ---
I'm oh, so, glad it's Friday. It's been nice to breathe again this week - the rain showed up for the first time in a few weeks, and the pollen has finally abated. I do miss our morning walk/jogs, but it'll be sunny again soon enough.
--- 2 ---
In case you missed it, I'm a new contributing writer over at Fine Linen and Purple, Kendra and Emily's lovely blog. You can head over and check out my post today about body image and how I'm starting to learn to love what I see in the mirror.
--- 3 ---
I've been making my way through a couple of Michael Pollan's books, The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food. Although neither one is particularly new, I think the topics are still fairly relevant - I'm finding his assessment of corn in our diet especially interesting. It's amazing how many different ways scientists have found to use corn. Amazing and frightening all at the same time. Part of me wants to dig in and eat as clean as possible (I'm sure this is an entirely healthy way to fall asleep every night) and part of me feels like it's somewhat futile to try and avoid everything we shouldn't eat. I'm interested to see how the books conclude, though - I should be done by next week's Quick Takes.
--- 4 ---
I started a new job about a month ago, and so far I'm really liking it. I still work for the same company, but I am in a new department with a completely different position and set of responsibilities. Since I'm in a new department, I have a lot to learn, but the constant learning is challenging in a good way. I like it. I do miss Emily and Erin when I'm at work, but I'm quite blessed to be able to be home with them as much as I am. Enjoying my job makes it easier, too. They love their time with their grandmas and their daddy, and I love that they're getting to know their family so well.
--- 5 ---
I don't know how much you've heard about Elizabeth Smart speaking out against abstinence-only education in schools, but I love Calah Alexander's response. We owe our daughters more than implying their worth is solely based on how "pure" they are when they get married.
--- 6 ---
Speaking of worth, Amanda's now a published author! Her book, Worthy, is available now and you should definitely check it out. I'm getting really excited to finally read it here soon!
--- 7 ---
Despite (or perhaps because of) all my reading about healthy food, I really want to bake something.  I may have to take advantage of the cooler, rainy weather for tomorrow before work and make a yummy treat. Anyone got any fabulous recipes to share? Send them my way!

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and a blessed Pentecost!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your guest post. Thank you for speaking so honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'll admit, it wasn't easy to write, but I know there have to be so many other girls and women who feel or have felt this way. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. I love your blog! I added you to my reader list. I am a twin too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to meet you :) do you have a sister or brother?

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! It's nice to meet you :) do you have a sister or brother?

      Delete
    3. A twin sister. We're identical, and also the oldest in our family.

      Delete
  3. You may enjoy this blog: http://lionofdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete