Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Clean house, clean heart

I read a book as a girl that talked about cleaning the house in preparation for Easter Sunday. I love that idea. It always makes sense to clean before the holidays, but for more superficial reasons, like having a nice clean house for company or for holiday activities. The idea of cleaning the house in order to welcome Jesus, resurrected, is really beautiful to me.

Since we have two little kids, it feels like our house is constantly being cleaned, yet is never actually clean. As with many things, I'm choosing not to aim for absolute perfection...well, let's be honest. In my head, there are glowing visions of a perfect, sparkling clean house, with shining floors and immaculate furniture. In actuality, I'm going to sweep and mop all the floors, the kitchen, the bathroom, and the bedrooms. Our house is small, and it shouldn't take too long. It probably means that a lot of things will end up camping out in the garage for a couple of days, but that's okay too. I count the garage (and its non-see-through door) among our many blessings right now, because we have never had that much storage space in our lives and it's awesome. One of these days we might even decide to put the car in there! But for now, it helps life in a little house feel cozy and sane. So in any spare time I have over the next few days, that's what I'll be doing! Maybe you'd like to join me?


There are a lot of things that I love about Lent and the preparation for Easter, but the idea of cleaning one's heart, and more visibly one's home, is one of my favorites. My heart is nowhere near as clean as it ought to be to deserve such a sacrifice, but that's just another reason to love Jesus all the more. 

I'll probably post once or twice more before Sunday, but I'm going to try and take as much time as possible to focus my heart where it needs to be this Holy Week. I hope you are all enjoying your preparation for the Easter season! 

What traditions does your family carry out for Holy Week and Easter?






1 comment:

  1. It's funny, we came home from an Easter party last night to an extremely messy kitchen and I was just so stressed and overwhelmed looking at it. I was exhausted, but knew I wanted it cleaned and suddenly I had the fleeting thought that I shouldalso clean it for Jesus as an Easter offering. And then I remembered that I saw this post and wanted to read it :) Peter actually ended up doing it while I did Easter baskets but it as so nice to wake up to this morning. Happy Easter, I hope you get to have some relaxed and joyous family time despite all the sickness.

    ReplyDelete