Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The twins journey begins!

When my husband and I found out I was pregnant October of last year, we were beyond excited. Ignoring all the advice I'd read on doing so, I took the test in the morning before work, when I was home by myself. No one to tell! I wanted to tell Dan first, and I wanted to tell him in person, so I waited through  a whole day at work to break the news. It seemed like the longest day ever - I wanted to tell everybody! - but I managed to stick it out until I got home.
At first, I don't think he believed me. The look of disbelief and shock on his face was priceless. But within seconds, I could tell he was thrilled. From that moment, that day would go on to mark the start of the wildest journey of our lives . . .

The preceding day, I'd been running around at a cross-country meet. At the time, I was helping coach a local high school cross-country team, running between 30 and 40 miles a week. I noticed an odd sensation in my abdomen, not exactly pain but still uncomfortable. The first day after finding out I was pregnant, I went out for a run and again noticed the pain. It increased with the miles, and my running partner and  I ended up walking back to our cars. I called my OB's office and described the pain. They decided to have me come in for some bloodwork the following week.
To make a long story a little shorter, I had two blood tests between 4 and 6 weeks due to abdominal discomfort, each of which showed I was increasingly more pregnant, but by leaps and bounds. The doctor ordered an ultrasound at 7 weeks to determine exactly what was going on. I read as much as I could find about hormone levels in early pregnancy, and stumbled upon a chart which gave ranges of "normal" hormone levels. For 6 weeks, the upper end of "normal" was 7,000. My test had come back at 102,000. The book gave possible reasons for this, including miscalculated due date and multiple pregnancy. Dan and I talked about how much we wanted a healthy baby, and prayed to see a heartbeat on the ultrasound screen. We talked about twins, too.
When the sonographer put her wand on my stomach, I could immediately see what looked like two dark holes in the midst of some grayish fuzz. My mind flashed through high school biology, wondering what had two holes. I didn't have to wait very long to find out. The sonographer pointed at the holes and said: "There's one baby, and there's another baby!"
She went on to show us heartbeats for both babies, which was all we needed. We were so excited to know we had two healthy babies on the way!


  1. Very cool, sweetie! Been sending all 4 of you lots of love and prayers since the beginning. Following on FB, and love your update pics - great record! Fun to hear the real story here, too. Keep up the good work - no babies could be luckier! Can't wait to meet them - now hit the couch, missy! Love you lots - Auntie M and Aunt D